2017-2019 Late Model Sportsman Rules
Raceceivers mandatory. NO RADIOS ALLOWEDMUFFLERS MANDATORY IF TRACKS REQUIRE
Driver Eligibility: No Driver that has won a feature in the Late Model class in the last 2 years will be eligible to compete in the Late Model Sportsman Class unless approved by the Competition Committee.
Race Procedure Rule: Any Driver winning the feature will start no better than 8th in the next heat and feature event that they enter. Any driver winning 2(two) features in a row will start the following event heat and feature from the rear of the field. Should the Driver win that feature, they will receive a bonus of $100.
1. All bodies must remain stock appearing
2. All spoiler braces must match spoiler height.
3. After market steel and/or aluminum bodies may be used and must remain stock appearing.
4. NO fiberglass bodies allowed. A fiberglass roof and hood are allowed. Must be able to prove that these items meet fire retardant standards.
5. Stock-type nose pieces are optional.
6. No lowering of roofs.
7. Factory-type bumpers or round tubing in original location. NO SHARP EDGES. ALL BUMPERS MUST TURN BACK TOWARD FRAME.
8. No wings, no mirrors.
9. Skirts allowed 6″ below front bumper.
10. TUNNEL… Full firewall (right half) is no longer required as long as the interior of car is boxed in. Drivers’ side must have full floorboard. Drivers’ seat must be 3″ ahead of left rear wheel.
11. Must have tow hook on front and rear of car.
12. FULL WINDSHIELD SCREEN MANDATORY. (maximum 1×2 square).
13. Pick-up truck bodies – OK. Must have truck type nose.14. BODY MEASUREMENTS: Rear deck height: maximum height is forty (40) inches+/-1” from ground to top of rear deck. Maximum rear deck width is seventy-two (72) inches. Maximum spoiler width is seventy-two (72) inches. Outside width. Maximum body width is seventy-six (76) inches. Measured at doors. Center of rear axle to corner of rear deck is maximum of fifty-two (52) inches.
ROOF: maximum fifty-two (52) inches wide Minimum forty-eight (48) inches wide. Maximum fifty (50) inches front to back. Minimum forty (40) inches front to back. Maximum fifty-four (54)inches roof height (from ground to Highest point of roof). Maximum one and one half (1 ½) inch roof rake. Measured from center of roof forward or backward. MINIMUM DRIVERS DOOR OPENING IS TWELVE (12) INCHES AT DOOR POST BEHIND DRIVERS SEAT AND TEN AND ONE HALF (10 ½) AT FRONT ROLL CAGE POST.
CHASSIS AND SUSPENSION
1. Steel tubular clip chassis or stock clip chassis are allowed.No aluminum or titanium allowed in chassis construction.Rear frame optional.
Minimum wheel base is 101 inch.Any round tube, square tube or rectangular tubing with minimum 1 ½ inch X .083” wall tubing.Cars must have a suitable steel roll cage in drivers compartment including seat bracket and head rest mounted safely.A minimum of three (3) door bars are mandatory on drivers side of roll cage. Each door bar must be round tubing with a minimum of 1 ½ inch X .095” wall thickness.All cars must have either a 16 gauge steel plate welded to outside of door bars or a ¼” aluminum plate bolted to outside of door bars. This plate must reach from lowest door bar to highest door bar and from behind driver’s seat to at least 6 inches in front of seat.Roll cage must extend at least 1” above drivers helmet. Roll cage must be welded to the frame.
2. Frame to body or motor to frame optional. Engine to body optional.
3. Front suspension, steering box, steering quickener, rack and pinion, and a-frames are optional.
4. SHOCKS: One(1) shock per wheel except left rear. NO adjustable shocks allowed. NO externally adjustable shocks allowed. Steel or Aluminum bodied shocks ONLY. Coil-over and coil-over eliminators allowed. Spring size optional. NO canister or remote reservoir shocks allowed. Schrader valve shocks allowed. One(1) 90/10 shock allowed on top of rear end. May run either 5th coil or torque link, but not both.
SHOCK CLAIM RULE:All shocks on any car are claimable for $200 per shock. This must be done by driver on front straight, immediately following finish of race.Proper claim form & $200 cash per shock must be given to flagman beforeleaving racing surface to go to tech. If driver leaves racing surface, there will be no claim.Only drivers finishing on lead lap can claim any shocks on cars finishing ahead of them.No claim on any car finishing behind claiming driver. Any driver refusing to allow a legal claim will be disqualified and will not be allowed points or money for that event and will not be allowed to compete in next 2 racing events. Second offense of refusing to allow a legal claim will result in disqualification and not being allowed to compete in the next 6 racing events.
5. Steering rods may be shortened or lengthened. Tie rod ends may use steel or aluminum adjustment sleeves plus heim tie rods. STEEL HEIM JOINTS ONLY. NO aluminum or titanium. Aftermarket spindles OK.
6. Sway bars and safety hubs on front are optional.
7. Rear suspensions optional. i.e. Coil, coil-over, coil-over eliminators, or leaf springs allowed. No mismatches: i.e. leaf/coil combination. Must be same on both sides of rear. No fiberglass or carbon fibre springs. Sliders on rear leaf cars permitted. 4-bar or 3-bar suspensions are allowed. Fifth coil set-ups on lift bars allowed. Birdcages on rear ends are allowed. These birdcages are allowed to swivel. Single pan hard bars may be used on coil spring cars only, but must be approved by Tech Inspector. Heim ends may be used for mounting. NO adjustments while running.
D. REAR END
1. Rear End may be locked, Interchanged in rear end permitted. 2″ offset rearends. Quick change optional. Stock floaters optional. No Detroit lockers or any other rachet type rear end; spools are authorized, steel or aluminum.
2. Rear safety hub. Dual spline axle (safety hub) will be allowed. Grand National type.
E. BRAKESBrake and clutch pedals may be stock or after market style. Four wheel disc brakes permitted. Calipers are optional. All must be operating. Right front brake optional.
F. DRIVE SHAFT MUST BE PAINTED WHITE. May be altered for length. Steel, aluminum or carbon fiber driveshafts allowed. Must have a driveshaft loop.
G. TRANSMISSION Stock-type, Bert, Brinn or quick-change transmissions allowed. Must have operational reverse gear. Must be able to be able to stop car and move forwards and backwards without shutting engine off. Automatics may remove torque converter. NO direct drive or in/out boxes allowed.
H. CLUTCHAny type clutch in stock location. MUST HAVE A 3″ INSPECTION HOLE IN BELL HOUSING.
I. RADIATORa. Must be in stock location.b. Aluminum radiators allowed.
J. ENGINE1. Engine must be stock except for those items specifically spelled out in these rules. NO interchanging of internal parts. No high performance engines or parts. ALL accessories must be powered by engine. MINI-STARTERS ALLOWED. No aftemarket blocks. Manufacturer only.a) Oil pump. Engine oil pump may be high pressure and high volume. (stock configuration)
b) If you are running CHEV 400 block, you will be allowed to run cooling lines to help cool the engine. Check with TECH before doing so. This also applies to all V8 engines.
GM CRATE MOTOR: GM Crate Motor 602 (GM part number 88958602) or GM Crate Motor(GM part number 88958604 are allowed for competition in the Limited Late Model class. They must run a 2 bbl. Holley 4412 or a Holley #80541 4bbl. carburetor and it must pass tech for Holley carburetors.
The 602 or 604 crate motor must remain sealed as it was supplied by factory.NO ALTERING, TAMPERING, CHANGING OR REMOVING OF ANY PARTS WILL BE ALLOWED. Any parts changed must be exact GM part replacement.Only exceptions noted below are allowed.
GM Crate Motor 602 with Factory Sealed bolts must weigh a minimum of 2300 lbs. with a 12″ spoiler.GM Crate motors 602 that have been rebuilt must weigh a minimum of 2350lbs. With a 12’ spoiler.GM Crate motor 604 must weigh a minimum of 2500lbs. with 50 lbs. added in front of flywheel (this 50lbs.must be split into 25 lbs.on each side of engine and be placed in the length of the engine.) Maximum 8” spoiler.
GM Performance Crate Engines: 602 or 604.(All crate engines, whether factory sealed or sealed by approved re-builder)Valve Springs MUST BE AS SUPPLIED BY GM.GM valve springs Only!602 engines: GM part #10212811 valve springs ONLY!604 engines: GM part #12551483 valve springs ONLY!NO BREZINSKI or other AFTER MARKET valve springs allowed. Valve spring retainers and keepers are optional.GM, Brezinski or other after market retainers and keepers are allowed. All GM Performance crate engines in any class must have either original factory sealed bolts or seals from an East Bay Raceway Park, Fastrak or NeSmith approved and authorized re-builder.Any GM Performance crate motor with re-build seals is subject to tear-down the same as non-crate motor.GM Performance crate motors with ORIGINAL factory seal bolts will not be subject to same tear-down rules; the price for a complete tear-down on these motors is $1,750.00.
NOTE: Any re-builds will be required to be done by East Bay, Fastrack or NeSmith approved re-builders ONLY . ANYONE TAMPERING WITH SEALS OR MODIFYING ANY INTERNAL ENGINE PARTS OR CHANGING THE ENGINE PARTS FROM STOCK AS SUPPLIED BY GM PERFORMANCE WILL BE SUBJECT TO EXPULSION FROM RACING AT EAST BAY RACEWAY PARK OR BUBBA RACEWAY PARK FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE SEASON AND POSSIBLY FUTURE SEASONS. CAR OWNER, DRIVER AND ENGINE BUILDERS ARE ALL SUBJECT TO THIS RULE.
CLAIMER ON GM CRATE MOTORS: Any driver finishing on lead lap may claim one motor in car finishing ahead of him. The claim price for a GM 602 engine is $3,500 CASH. The claim price for a GM 604 engine is $5,300 CASH. This claim must be made to head flagman on front straight within 3 minutes of conclusion of event. IF DRIVER LEAVES RACING SURFACE AND PROCEEDS TO PITS, THERE WILL BE NO CLAIM ALLOWED.See Claims and Protests in general rules.
NOTE: The engine rules below pertain to open, home built or builder prepared motors and DO NOT APPLY TO CRATE MOTORS;
1. Steel block V-8 engines only.
2. Block:Milling of block permitted. Porting or polishing block is not permitted. NO ALUMINUM BLOCK. Lifter trays and screen on top of block allowed.
3. PISTONS:Any flat top piston, maximum .060 overbore, plus .015 tolerance. Floating wrist pins allowed.a. Engines may be balanced.
4. RODS AND CRANKSHAFT:Stock stroke for block being used.a. 5.7″ long or 5.65″ long onlyb. Any steel rod.c. Polished stock rods.d. Crank balancing optional.e. Minimum weight on crank – 48 lbs.External oil pumps mounted on Brinn or Burt transmissions allowed.WET SUMP OILPANS ONLY!! No dry sump systems allowed.
5. HEADS & VALVESa. Any ratio rocker arms.b. All Chevy heads must remain within one degree of 23 degrees valve angle. All Ford heads must remain within one degree of 20 degree valve angle. All Mopar heads must remain within one degree of 18 degrees valve angle.
ALL HEADS MUST BE OEM STOCK OR OEM STROCK REPLACEMENT HEADS. APPROVED OEM STOCK REPLACEMENT STEEL HEADS:
Dart Heads: #10021070; 10021070s; 10024360; 10024361; 10024362; 10024364
World Products: #043600-1 or -2; 043610-1 or -2; 043640-1 or -2; 043650-1 or -2
GM Performance Parts: #3991492; 141010837; 1409621
Racing Head Service: #12400; 12402
Pro Topline : #223 7694 167T; 223 7694 217; 223 6494 083
Smiley’s Racing Products: #CC167CS; CC167ES; JPA350HS; JPA350HH; JPA350HL
Max 194 heads. NO titanium valves. Valve retainer optional. Stainless steel valves O.K. No porting, polishing or gasket matching. NO ALUMINUM HEADS. NO VORTEC HEADS.Ford must run stock valve spring diameter and push rod. Screw-in studs and guide plates optional. Roller rockers optional. Valve springs optional, machining of head for large valve spring O.K. Retainers optional. Ford must run stock size valve spring diameter and stock push rod.
VALVE SIZE: Chevrolet: intake-1.94” maximum– exhaust-1.625” maximum Ford: intake- 2.02” maximum– exhaust- 1.654” maximum Mopar: intake- 2.02” maximum– exhaust- 1.625” maximum
6. INTAKE MANIFOLD:Any after market 4-barrell intake may be used. No porting or polishing, or gasket matching allowed.
a. Maximum 1.65 inch height adapter plate between carburetor and intake manifold. This includes spacer plus 2 gaskets.b. No item or device of any kind may protrude more than a maximum of 4″ verticle through the hood.
7. ENGINE LOCATION – All engines must be located a maximum of 6” from center of ball joint to #1 spark plug. 1” tolerance. 50 lb. penalty for every ½ inch past tolerance, Mounted in front of water pump. Engine may be offset a maximum 2” from center, measured from ball joints.
8. CAMSHAFT -Any flat tappet cam and lifters. No mushroom lifters or roller camsAny non-adjustable push rod allowed.
9. IGNITION Any battery fired distributors single point or electronic ignition permitted.Factory or aftermarket allowed. MSD or HEI allowed. Rev limiters allowed.No billet distributors. No magnetos. One 12-volt battery per car. NO 16-volt batteries. No battery inside driver’s compartment.
10. ALUMINUM WATER PUMP PERMITTED
11. FUEL SYSTEMS
1. NO ROTARY FUEL PUMPS. NO ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP Any stock type fuel pump or after market pump, mounted in stock location. Carter, Holley, etc. 8 lbs. pressure MAX. Belt-driven pump: must add 50 lbs. to total weight of car.
12. CARBURETOR a. Must use 1 Holley #4412 two-barrel carburetor or 1 Holley 1850, 3310, 80541, 80457, 4150, 750cfm, 50127c or Quadrajet carburetor. Maximum 750 cfm. b. Fuel tanks 33 gal. maximum. Plastic fuel cells must be encased in aluminum canister. No electric fuel pumps. Fuel petroleum base ONLY. (GAS!) Regular pump type gas, CAM2 or equivalent. NO TRICK ADDITIVES, NO ALCOHOL, NO NITROUS, etc.
K. WHEEL AND TIRES Max. 14″ steel or aluminum wheel. Bead locks allowed on right side ONLY. HOOSIER D55 tires as supplied by Hoosier tire ONLY. Tires must be raced as supplied from Hoosier Racing Tires, no grooving, no siping, no needling or grinding with less than a 36 grit grinder wheel. All D-55 TIRES MUST PASS A MINIMUM Durometer reading ON TRACK DUROMETER which will be announced in Drivers Meeting.
No tire softeners. NO soaking of tires. NO preheating of tires. No chemicals of any type inside tire except oxygen or nitrogen. If found, tires will be confiscated and driver will receive a minimum $500.00 fine, loss of all points accrued to date and/or possible suspension. No grinding or removal of factory markings.
ALL TIRES WILL BE SUBJECT TO LAB TESTING AT ANY TIME TO DETERMINE LEGALITY.
L. EXHAUST SYSTEMS Collector type headers or stock exhaust manifolds O.K. NO 180 degree, zoomies or Tri-Y headers.
MUFFLERS: at tracks requiring mufflers: Mufflers mandatory at all times. Cars must finish races with mufflers. Approved track mufflers.1. Schoenfeld #112535 OR 112530 are Mandatory
2. Turn Downs are optional.
MUFFLERS ARE MANDATORYAll mufflers must remain on vehicle and be in working condition through-out race.98 decibel maximum measured at trackside.
M. WEIGHT – GM 604 and Built engines must weigh 2500lbs. with an 8″spoiler. GM Crate 604 must have 50 lbs. Mounted in front of flywheel (split into 25lbs. on each side of engine within the length of the engine. Maximum 8” spoiler.
GM 602 (with factory sealed bolts) engines must weigh 2300lbs. with a maximum 12” spoiler.
Re-built GM 602 engines must weigh 2350lbs. with a maximum12” spoiler.
Top 5 finishers must go across scale after feature and then report directly to TECH SHED. Tech inspector will inspect first five and anyone else track sees fit.
RULE BOOK DISCLAIMER
The rules and/or regulations set forth herein are designed to provide for the orderly conduct of racing events and to establish minimum acceptable requirements for such events. These rules shall govern the condition of all events, and by participating in these events, all participants are deemed to have complied with these rules. NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM THE PUBLICATION OF OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND/OR REGULATIONS. They are intended entirely as a guide for the conduct of the sport and in no way guarantee against injury or death to any participant, spectator or official.
The race director or Head Tech Inspector shall be empowered to permit reasonable and appropriate deviation from any of the specifications herein or impose any further restrictions that in their opinion do not alter the minimum acceptable requirements. ANO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM SUCH ALTERATIONS OR DEVIATIONS. Any interpretation or deviation of these rules is left to the discretion of the officials and is final and binding.
On occasion when situations arise that are not covered by written rules herein, special rulings may be put into effect by the track officials. Once such rulings are acted upon, they may become an act of policy and will be added to the existing rules of procedures.